Upon receipt of a completed application, proper endorsements and the correct fee, the Secretary, if satisfied the applicant is qualified to be appointed and commissioned as a notary public, prepares a notary commission for the applicant and forwards the commission to the Clerk of the Circuit Court in which the applicant elects to qualify.
The applicant should receive notice that the application has been approved within four to six weeks after the Secretary’s Office receives the completed application. The notary has sixty days from date of the notice to present himself/herself to the court of his/her choosing to take the oath of office and pick up the commission certificate. At that time, the Clerk of Circuit Court will require an additional fee of $10.00 which should be made payable to the court.
If you have received the letter from the Secretary of the Commonwealth and want to see if we have your commission. Click on the Chat Now link below to chat with one of our staff.
What are the qualifications to become a Notary Public?
- As set forth in the Code of Virginia, §47.1-4, as amended:
- You must be at least 18 years of age;
- You must be a citizen of the United States; and
- You must be able to read and write the English language.
- No person who has ever been convicted of a felony under the laws of the United States or the Commonwealth of Virginia, or the laws of any other state, shall qualify, unless such person has been pardoned for such felony or has had his rights restored.
- A nonresident of Virginia may be appointed only if he is regularly employed in this Commonwealth and if such appointment will be necessary or useful to him in such employment.
A member of the armed services of the United States shall be eligible for appointment and commission as a notary notwithstanding the provisions of the Code of Virginia, §2.1-30, as amended.
Where can I get a copy of the application form?
Clerk’s Office – You may pick up a copy of the form at the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office at 150 St Paul’s Blvd 7th Floor. The Application For Appointment As Notary Public form is available by clicking on the Notary Public Application. For additional information call our License, Permits and Finance Division at (757) 664-4380.
Renewing your Notary Certificate is the same as applying for an original commission.