Contested Divorce

It is strongly encouraged that each party involved in a divorce matter consults with an attorney in order that the legal effects of the proceedings may be fully explained. You may proceed without an attorney; however, by doing so, you may unknowingly waive your rights to various legal claims associated with your marriage, including equitable distribution of property, custody or visitation, and child or spousal support, among others. The law clerks, clerk’s office, and judicial staff are neither permitted to give legal advice nor do they provide forms to file a divorce action (Bill of Complaint) or Final Divorce Decrees.

CONTESTED DIVORCE: a Commissioner in Chancery will handle all contested divorces.

If there are any property rights to be resolved, and the parties desire to put on evidence of facts and circumstances leading to the dissolution of the marriage, the case will still be heard by a Commissioner along with the grounds for divorce.