Court Appointed Application
INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICATION FOR PLACEMENT ON THE COURT-APPOINTED LIST OF THE CIRCUIT COURT OF THE CITY OF NORFOLK
i. The applicant must have an office in the City of Norfolk and provide a copy of a current Norfolk City business license.
ii. The applicant must be a member in good standing with the Virginia State Bar AND actively engaged in the practice of law for at least three years with a substantial portion of his or her practice in criminal law
have two years of experience as a full-time prosecutor or public defender.
iii. The applicant must have served as lead or associate counsel in at least three civil and/or criminal jury trials.
iv. Submit three endorsement letters attesting to his or her proven competence in the trial of criminal cases from either attorneys presently on the court-appointed list or judges of a Virginia Circuit Court, General District Court, Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court, or U.S. District Court; UNLESS the applicant has had two years or more experience in a Commonwealth’s Attorney’s Office or Public Defender’s Office, in which letters are not required.
v. The applicant must be certified by the Virginia Indigent Defense Commission to perform court-appointed criminal defense representation and must maintain that certification to remain eligible for court-appointed cases. Failure to stay certified will result in immediate removal from the court-appointed list.
vi. The placement on the list must be approved by all judges of Norfolk Circuit Court.
> Norfolk City Business License
> Letter of Qualification from Virginia Indigent Defense Commission
> Endorsement Letters (if applicable)
Return completed applications to:
Circuit Court Judges’ Administration Office
Attention: Elizabeth Amaya, Judicial Programs Manager
150 St. Paul’s Blvd
Norfolk, VA 23510
Subject: COURT-APPOINTED APPLICATION
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
APPLICATION FOR PLACEMENT ON THE COURT-APPOINTED LIST OF THE CIRCUIT COURT OF THE CITY OF NORFOLK
TO THE APPLICANT: To be placed on the Court’s appointed list for the representation of indigent criminal defendants your completed application must be unanimously approved by the judges of the Court and you must have an office in the City of Norfolk.
I hereby certify that:
1. My principal office is located at the following address:
My office telephone number is _________________; cell number: ________________. fax number: __________________.
My email address is: ____________________________________________________.
2. If your principal office is in another city, provide the office address where you will meet with Norfolk clients: ______________________________________________________.
3. I have attached a copy of my current Norfolk City business license.
4. I confirm that I will meet with my court-appointed clients at my Norfolk office and will not require any to travel to my other office location(s) for any such meeting.
5. I am an active member of the Virginia State Bar. My Bar number is: ____________________ I have either (a) been actively engaged in the practice of law for at least three years with a substantial portion of my practice in criminal law, or (b) at least two years of experience as a full-time prosecutor or public defender.
6. I have participated in at least three jury trials (either civil or criminal) as lead counsel or associate counsel.
7. I have appeared as counsel in the Norfolk Circuit Court on approximately:
1-10 _____ 10-50 _____ or more than 50_____occasions.
8. I have attached a copy of my letter of qualification from the Virginia Indigent Defense Commission.
9. I would like to be appointed to represent respondents in petitions for civil commitments of sexually violent predators. Yes _____ No _____. If yes, briefly summarize your experience or training with these cases:
APPLICANT PRINTED NAME AND SIGNATURE