Correcting an Instrument Index or Description
The following procedure applies to correct an Index or description on a recorded instrument.
Procedure to correct a recorded instrument
For description errors (Va. Code §55-109.2):
- Complete a correcting affidavit in accordance with Va. Code §55-109.2.
- Click here for a sample corrective affidavit.
- Submit the correcting affidavit to the Clerk’s Office for recording.
For indexing errors (Va. Code §17.1-250):
To maintain a permanent record of the change request, you must either;
- Submit a Deed of Correction (COD), or;
- Submit an affidavit for recordation.
The Filing Fee for both options is $21.00 for 10 pages or less and $35.00 if over 10 pages.