NOTICE TO ATTORNEYS ENGAGED IN DIVORCE PRACTICE IN THIS COURT
For the year 2013, almost 11% of all divorce suits filed in Virginia were filed in the Circuit Court of the City of Norfolk. In many, if not most, of these suits neither party lived in the City of Norfolk. The judges of this Court have therefore decided that all final decrees of divorce shall henceforth include a transfer provision pursuant to Code of Virginia § 20-107.2(L) when there is a separation agreement and neither party lives in Norfolk when the final decree is presented. If the parties live in different cities or counties of Virginia when the final decree is presented, you may select the city or county to which the transfer is made.
Judge Martin gave a short presentation on changes to divorce practice in the Circuit Court of Norfolk effective July 2, 2012. These subjects are discussed:
- Revisions to Local Rule 1.
- New Code §20-111.1(E) (House Bill 282).
- New Code §20-107.3(L) (House Bill 635).
- Submitting final decrees on depositions or affidavits under revised Code §20-106 (House Bill 126).
- Common errors in final decrees.
Watch the video below or see it on YouTube